1/3 Photos of Lemon Chicken With Honey and Saffron, Elegant and Good!
2 hrs 25 mins
This is a lovely chicken dish with great flavor for a nice change of pace. Cooks Note: To toast sesame seeds, heat a medium-size skillet without oil over medium heat. Add sesame seeds and cook them, stirring, until golden and fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes. Be careful not to burn them. Remove sesame seeds from pan, and allow to cool. Adapted from "The New Spanish Table'' by Anya von Bremzen. Please note: this is an adopted recipe and I hope to make it soonest. If you make it before I do, I would appreciate feedback, Thanks ! ZWT REGION: Spain.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1814.36 g broiler-fryer chickens
- coarse salt (kosher or sea)
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml ground coriander
- 118.29 ml fresh lemon juice
- 29.57 ml light honey, such as orange flower
- 0.25 ml saffron, pulverized in a mortar and steeped in 1 tablespoon very hot water
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml lightly toasted sesame seeds (see Note)
- 1Quarter chicken, removing backbone. Rinse, pat dry and trim off excess fat.
- 2Place chicken in an earthenware cazuela that will hold it in one layer, or in an enamel or glass baking dish. Rub chicken all over with salt, cumin, ginger and coriander. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 3Place lemon juice, 5 teaspoons honey and saffron in a small bowl and whisk to mix. Pour mixture over chicken. Prick chicken all over with tines of a fork, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 to 6 hours, turning several times. Let chicken come to room temperature before cooking.
- 4Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 5Transfer chicken to a bowl, then scatter onion in cazuela. Place chicken on top of onion and brush it with remaining 1 teaspoon honey and olive oil.
- 6Bake chicken for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking chicken until it is cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes longer. (To avoid overcooking the breast halves, remove them after 30 minutes.).
- 7Stir in sesame seeds, return breast halves to cazuela and bake for 5 minutes longer. Serve chicken straight from the cazuela.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Chicken With Honey and Saffron, Elegant and Good!
Serving Size: 1 (545 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1089.2
- Calories from Fat 667
- Total Fat 74.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.3 g
- Cholesterol 340.5 mg
- Sodium 320.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 85.8 g