- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder into a sifter and sift into a bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream butter.
- While the butter is mixing, add sugar until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisking eggs; slowly add to butter mixture on low speed.
- Slowly add in a 1/4 the flour mix - keep the mixer going then add a 1/4 the buttermilk. Keep mixing, then add another 1/4 of each again at different times, keep mixing and keep repeating until you have used up both the flour mix and buttermilk (start with flour, and end with flour).
- Add lemon juice, lemon extract, and lemon zest until combined.
- Evenly distribute the cake batter into baking pans. (I used 4 8-inch.).
- Once the oven has been preheat, bake the cakes for 25 minutes or until done.