Recipe by Punky Julster
Prep time doesn't include chill time.
Top Review by arlinekal
This is a widely reprinted recipe from many other websites and is CLEARLY lemon buttermilk SORBET! It is NOT considered "ice cream" and 2 C. of sugar is WAAAY too much. Many have made this with 1.5 Cups and I personally still think it's too much. I'd try a maximum of 1.25 C. of sugar next time.
Directions See How It's Made
- Place sugar in a medium-size bowl.
- Grate the zest (colored part of the peel) of two to three lemons to produce 2 teaspoons of zest.
- Juice as many lemons as needed to get 1/2 cup lemon juice.
- Add zest and juice to sugar.
- Mix well.
- Add buttermilk and salt.
- Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Chill 4 hours or overnight.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.