Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Prep time doesn't include chill time.
- Place sugar in a medium-size bowl.
- Grate the zest (colored part of the peel) of two to three lemons to produce 2 teaspoons of zest.
- Juice as many lemons as needed to get 1/2 cup lemon juice.
- Add zest and juice to sugar.
- Mix well.
- Add buttermilk and salt.
- Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Chill 4 hours or overnight.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
This is a widely reprinted recipe from many other websites and is CLEARLY lemon buttermilk SORBET! It is NOT considered "ice cream" and 2 C. of sugar is WAAAY too much. Many have made this with 1.5 Cups and I personally still think it's too much. I'd try a maximum of 1.25 C. of sugar next time.
Different but really tasty. The lemon-lovers were elated.
Wonderful ice cream! A new family favorite. We've made it twice now. The first time according to the recipe. The second time, i cut back to 3/4 cup of Splenda and 3/4 cup of sugar (total of 1 1/2 cup of sweetener as opposed to 2 cups). We liked it a little bit tarter--very refreshing and delicious. Relatively no-guilt recipe with the buttermilk as the base and using half Splenda & half sugar. If you like lemon, you'll love this ice cream.