Recipe by Darlene10
An elegant and simply delicious dessert. This cake draws rave reviews.
Top Review by Acceptance
My grandmother used to make this (now I'm a grandmother) when I was little and it was always one of my favorites. Light, different, refreshing! She usually frosted it with a fluffy 7 minute frosting or with whipped cream.
- 1 baked 10 inch angel food cake
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake angel food cake as per directions.
- Trim off the crusts and break into bite size pieces.
- Combine 6 egg yolks, 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup of lemon juice.
- Cook in double boiler until thickened (coats spoon).
- Remove from heat and add 1 tbsp.
- unflavored gelatin softened in 1/4 cup of water to mixture and cool.
- Beat 6 egg whites till stiff and add 1/2 cup sugar.
- Fold whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Arrange 1/3 of cake pieces loosely in bottom of tube pan.
- Pour 1/3 of lemon custard mixture over cake.
- Continue until there are 3 layers ending with the custard mixture.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Loosen and remove from pan.
- Frost with whipped cream.
- An alternative method to assembling this cake would be to mix the angel food pieces with the custard mixture and put in a spring form pan. Make it the day before. When released from the pan frost with whipped cream or Cool Whip. This works wonderfully.