Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are an all time favourite of mine. They are best eaten straight out of the oven as they have a super crunchy top on them (this softens as they cool). They are so beautiful you won't be able to stop at one! From the Australian Women's Weekly cookbook.
- 3 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 cup milk
- 60 g butter, melted
- preheat oven to moderately hot.
- grease 12 hole muffin pan.
- reserve 2 tsp of rind and 2 tbsp of sugar.
- place flour in bowl
- stir in seed and remaining sugar.
- stir in remaining rind, juice, egg, milk, butter.
- spoon into pan.
- sprinkle with combined reserved rind and sugar.
- bake in moderately hot oven about 20 minute.
I found this easy (had to make my own self rising flour) but it lacked the lemon punch I was looking for. I would up the amount of lemon zest used and possibly even use an extract. I will probably make this again with a few adjustment.
This is a really quick, easy and tasty muffin recipe, and results are very nice and relatively healthy! I just adore the lemon/poppy seed combination! We took most of these to a friend's place and came home to find that the cats had had made a good start on the remaining ones, so that's got to be a sign they're good! Thanks for posting!