Recipe by GiddyUpGo
This recipe was featured on week 34 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook on meal from every nation on Earth, and Botswana is my 34th stop. Unless otherwise noted, my Travel by Stove recipes are taken from authentic or traditional sources, and this recipe has been posted without any alternations or additions to the ingredients. This recipe originally appeared in "Mma Ramotswe's Cookbook." When I made these I used too little flour, so mine were more like cookies (as pictured in my photo). Yours will be thicker and more biscuit-like.
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 7 fluid ounces condensed milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- powdered sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then add the condensed milk and keep blending until well mixed.
- Add the lemon juice and grated zest, then sift together the dry ingredients and add that too. Keep blending until the ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Take teaspoons of dough and roll them into balls, then place them on a greased baking sheet and flatten gently with a fork.
- Bake at about 335 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes, or until starting to brown underneath. Let cool, then dust with powdered sugar.