Recipe by Sandylee
It only takes about an hour to change leftover roast beef or leftover steak into a new dish. This recipe is from Kalyn's Kitchen blog: http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2005/11/leftover-roast-beef-italian-stew.html
Top Review by Doozie
Glad to have found this recipe, I didn't know what to do with the leftover pot roast as it just wasn't enough for another family meal. With this recipe I was able to stretch it for all of us. I did as another reviewer and added some carrots and potatoes to the pot to further stretch this meal. Between this recipe and the review that I read....I became inspired and my family became full. Thanks...This sure beats the standard leftovers sandwich. ~Doozie~
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 226.79-283.49 g leftover roast beef or 226.79-283.49 g steak
- 473.18 ml beef stock (or 1 can beef broth)
- 236.59 ml roasted tomatoes or 411.06 g can diced tomatoes
- 7.39 ml dried oregano
- 7.39 ml dried basil
- 236.59 ml mushroom, cut in large chunks
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut onion and green pepper into 3/4 inch pieces, and roast beef and mushrooms into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- In heavy dutch oven, sauté onions in olive oil for 3 minutes, add green pepper and sauté 3 minutes more.
- Add beef, stock, tomatoes, oregano, basil, and mushrooms, reduce heat to very low, and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper if desired.
- Add fresh basil when stew has cook to desired consistency and cook 5-10 minutes more.
- Serve hot.