It only takes about an hour to change leftover roast beef or leftover steak into a new dish. This recipe is from Kalyn's Kitchen blog: http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2005/11/leftover-roast-beef-italian-stew.html
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 -10 ounces leftover roast beef or 8 -10 ounces steak
- 2 cups beef stock (or 1 can beef broth)
- 1 cup roasted tomatoes or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 cup mushroom, cut in large chunks
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Cut onion and green pepper into 3/4 inch pieces, and roast beef and mushrooms into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- In heavy dutch oven, sauté onions in olive oil for 3 minutes, add green pepper and sauté 3 minutes more.
- Add beef, stock, tomatoes, oregano, basil, and mushrooms, reduce heat to very low, and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper if desired.
- Add fresh basil when stew has cook to desired consistency and cook 5-10 minutes more.
- Serve hot.