Recipe by Lyndsay Knox
Creamy italian rice dish that is served as a main course. This is a reduced fat version. I have reduced the amount of oil and cheese used, but you can also sprinkle parmesan over the top once it's served. We make this at least one a week. It's wonderful!
Top Review by Donna
I love this! nobody else really was into ot but me, but my family thinks if it isn't loaded with fat it can't be good, I thought it was wonderful, and i will make it again many times for myself.
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups chicken broth (48 fl oz)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups leeks, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups arborio rice (17.5 oz/545 g)
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the stock or broth into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Keep liquid hot.
- In a large, heavy saucepan over low heat, heat oil.
- Add the leeks and saute about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir until white spots appear in the center of the grains, about 1 minute.
- (It is very important to use Arborio rice!) Add the wine and stir until absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Add one ladleful of the hot stock or broth, adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Continue adding the stock or broth, one ladleful at a time and stirring constantly, until the rice is just tender but slightly firm in the center and the mixture is creamy, 20-25 minutes longer.
- Add the cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir to mix well.
- Serve at once.
- Makes 8 cups.