1/3 Photos of Lee Hong's Cucumbers
I got this from the Best of Bridge cookbook. It is a real hit at BBQ's as well as a side dish on a hot summer day. I make a big batch because people always want to take leftovers home! Tastes even better the next day, but the cucumber will be a bit wilted, but doesn't affect the taste. Enjoy! Edited to include: You can also add some fresh dill weed to the dressing. It adds a nice flavor. Edited June 2011 to include: You can also try using Splenda in place of sugar. It doesn't alter the taste too much. I have successfully used it in place of sugar. It depends on your tastebuds.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice cucumbers as thin as you can.
- 2Arrange cucumber slices in a bowl in layers, salting between layers. Sprinkle the cukes with salt, don't over salt them.
- 3Let stand 2 hours.
- 4Rinse with cold water until no salt remains. Make sure you rinse salt out of cukes extremely well or the salty taste will stay.
- 5Drain well and pat dry.
- 6Thinly slice red onions and break apart rings.
- 7In a separate bowl, mix sugar and oil, then add vinegar and water.
- 8Add more sugar or vinegar if not sweet or sour enough.
- 9It should have a nice tangy taste.
- 10Add onions and cucumber to vinegar dressing.
- 11Mix well.
- 12Cover and refrigerate for a couple hours, stirring frequently to blend flavors.
- 13Serve with steak, chicken, at a BBQ or with a deli style sandwich!
- 14This doubles and even triples well! This makes alot of dressing for the cukes, but I like it that way so the cukes are totally immersed and absorb the flavor.
- 15Edited to add: you can also add fresh dill weed to the vinegar dressing if you wish.
- 16Edited June 2011 to include: You can also try using Splenda in place of sugar. It doesn't alter the taste too much and I have successfully used it in place of sugar. It depends on your tastebuds.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lee Hong's Cucumbers
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.8
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1749.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 21.4 g
- Protein 0.7 g