Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have made this dish using chicken livers and chicken consume and it turns out just as well. It is a bit of trial and error when forming the dumplings so take the time to do the test one first and have some dry breadcrumbs on hand.
- 8 kaiser rolls, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 3⁄4 cup milk, warm
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper, white
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 liters water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- breadcrumbs, dry
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef consomme
- 375 g beef liver
- parsley, chopped
- Put the bread sliced into a bowl add 1 tsp salt and pour over the milk. Let stand for 1 hour.
- Sauté onion and the chopped parsley in the butter for about 4-5 minutes Set aside.
- Pass the liver through a mincer and mix with the bread mix, the onion mix, eggs, majoram and pepper. Mix well so all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Put a pan on the stove and bring the water and 1/2 tsp salt to the boil and turn heat down so the water is just simmering.
- Stir onion & parsley, liver, eggs, marjoram and pepper into bread mixture. Blend thoroughly.
- The first dumpling will be the test: take 1 tsp of liver mixture and form into a neat oval using 2 teaspoons Drop into the water, if it falls apart add some dry bread crumbs and work it into the dumpling mix. If it holds it shape continue on and form 8 dumplings from the mixture and drop into the boiling water and simmer for about 20 minutes uncovered.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Heat the beef consume and serve with the dumplings and sprinkle with the parsley.