Recipe by Geema
This delicious recipe is from Burt Green and is my favorite way to eat whole wheat bulgur. It easy and fabulous as a side dish for a wide variety of meat or vegetarian meals. Please try this.
Top Review by cita705_12754854
I love this stuff it's a nice change from pasta & rice which I love. I added a few chopped mini carrots along with zucchini & yellow squash and red pepper flakes. I even ate it for breakfast and topped it with a fried egg, the runny yolk was amazing mixed with the Bulgur & veggies. Now I'm going to try it on my hubby this week! Thanks for sharing!
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth, heated
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the tomatos and basil, cooking 2 more minutes.
- Stir the bulgur into the tomato mixture, making sure that the bulgur is well coated.
- Stir in the hot broth, reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add the honey, tomato paste, salt, pepper and cayenne to the bulgur mixture.
- Continue to cook, covered until the bulgur is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the top.