Recipe by Boomette
A recipe from Rachael Ray. A note from this recipe : Skip the sugar- and sodium-heavy ketchup and use a roasted red pepper puree for color and flavor. Use oats instead of breadcrumbs—they add fiber and double as a binder.
Top Review by weekend cooker
We enjoyed this fo dinner tonight. The roasted red peppers was a nice twist on this, that we enjoyed greatly. Added great flavor. After adding the parmesan cheese it only needed 7-8 minutes extra cooking. I did use lean ground beef, which I rarely use, and worked outnicely.
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (93%)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Using a food processor, coarsely grind the oats; transfer to a large bowl. Add the onion to the processor and finely chop.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Puree the roasted peppers in the food processor; set aside 1/3 cup. Whisk the remaining roasted pepper puree into the oats along with the cooked onion, 6 tablespoons parmesan, the parsley, egg and egg white, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Crumble the ground beef into the bowl and stir to combine.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan; spread the reserved roasted pepper puree on top. Bake for 50 minutes, sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons parmesan and bake for 5 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.