Recipe by MarieRynr
I got this recipe from Canadian Living magazine a few years ago. It is a delicious layered casserole combination of creamy mashed potatoes, spinach and squash, that's a great comfort food laced with zingy fresh ginger. I often receive potluck invitatiions with the requests to bring "That layered thing."
Top Review by shoy299
I made this recipe years ago, loved it and looked for a clear tall sided glass ovenproof dish to serve it in. I finally found the dish but by then had lost the recipe! Thanks for being here when I Google searched for it. The vegie layers can be leftovers like kale or chard--the squash can be from scratch. But in a pinch, you can turn out an impressive side dish that combines a starch with 2 vegetables.
- 8 medium potatoes, about 3 lbs
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup light sour cream or 1 cup regular sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (300 g) packagethawed frozen spinach, preferably chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (300 g) packagefrozen cooked squash, thawed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes, cut in half.
- Place in a large saucepan and cover with boiling or hot water.
- Cover saucepan and bring back to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue boiling gently, partially covered, until potatoes are very tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and mash.
- Stir in 2 TBS butter, sour cream and 1/2 tsp salt.
- You should have about 6 cups.
- Squeeze handfuls of spinach until fairly dry.
- Coarsely chop if not already chopped.
- Place in a medium size bowl.
- Stir in onions, egg,1 TBS butter and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Drain off any liquid from thawed squash.
- Stir squash with 1 TBS butter, ginger and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Butter a large caserole dish that will hold at least 8 cups or coat with cooking spray.
- Spoon one third of the potato mixture into buttered dish and spread til smooth.
- Evenly spread with all of the squash mixture.
- Spread with half of remaining potatoes, then all of spinach mixture.
- Top with a layer of remaining potatoes, then sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered, in center of oven until hot and cheese is lightly golden, from 55 to 65 minutes.
- To test if hot right through, plunge a table knife into center of casserole and hold for 15 seconds.
- Then withdraw knife and lightly touch to see if it has become very warm.