Layered chicken Casserole
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs boneless chicken, cut in bite size pieces (mixture of white and dark)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 bag Frito corn chips or 1 bag tortilla chips
- Saute chopped onion and garlic in oil.
- Add chicken pieces and brown.
- Add chilies and chicken soup.
- In a 13 X 9 X 2 baking pan layer 1/2 chicken mixture, 1/2 cheese, a layer of chips, 1/2 chicken mixture and ending with cheese.
- Bake at 350 til bubbly and cheese has melted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I requested this on the message boards to use up some extra Fritos. This is definitely different, but I really liked it. Like Rita, it barely covers the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan. I used about 2 snack-size bags of Fritos. I added about a cup of milk to the soup/chicken mixture. I will make this again to use up Fritos. It is very tasty - I had to go back for seconds.
I made this last night and it was a hit with the whole family. I used corn chips and really liked the flavor of that. I didn't use the whole jar of green chilies because I've never used them before and wasn't sure if I'd like them, but I did. This was a very easy, tasty recipe. Thanks so much for sharing.
I was looking for a recipe to use up leftover chicken and this one fit the bill. I added 1/2 cup sour cream to the chicken mixture and only used about 3/4 bag of tortilla chips. I crushed the tortilla chips lightly before adding them and baked this for about 20 minutes. It turned out very good. We all went back for seconds. Thanks for posting this tasty recipe!