Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
NOTE: This is a very dense cake. If you like a fluffier cake, use your favorite two layer yellow cake recipe and just try the yummy frosting.
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar or 1 1⁄2 cups light brown sugar, I prefer dark
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup milk, start with lesser amount
- 1 lb powdered sugar (10X)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For cake, cream together shortening and softened butter and sugar until very light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt, and add dry ingredients alternately with milk (3 additions of dry, 2 of milk).
- Beat only until well blended but do not overbeat.
- Fold in vanilla extract.
- Pour into two well greased and floured 10 inch layer pans (or 3 9 inch pans) and bake in a preheated 350 degree (Fahrenheit) oven for about 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, turn cake pans upside down on counter on waxed paper.
- In a few minutes, remove pans from cake layers and let them cool completely before making the frosting.
- When cake layers have cooled, make frosting. Melt butter in a heavy pan over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar and continue cooking until it melts, stirring and watching carefully.
- After sugar is melted, add 1/3 cup milk and stir in well.
- Turn burner to medium high, and bring to a full boil, stirring constantly. Boil for at least one minute, but not more than two minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour over powdered sugar in a metal or heat proof bowl.
- Beat well for about 10 minutes, adding more milk as needed if mixture is too thick (it will set up and get thicker as it cools).
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- Fill and frost layers immediately before frosting sets and becomes very hard to spread.