Recipe by Hadice
One more from the First Lady's collection of recipes.
Top Review by LonghornMama
Enjoyed this! My mashed potatoes were pretty thick, so I ended up adding about 4 cups of 1% milk. Wasn't sure where to add the cheese, so stirred in 1 1/2 cups, and used the rest as garnish along with extra crumbled crisp bacon and green onions. Enjoyed the addition of diced red pepper in the soup both for color and taste. A great way to use up a lot of leftover mashed potatoes. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 6 cups left over mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced,cooked and drained well (freeze bacon for easier cutting)
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup chives, minced
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 -3 cups whipping cream or 2 -3 cups half-and-half or 2 -3 cups milk
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, saute onions and red pepper over medium heat in 2 tablespoons butter until onions are clear.
- Add bacon, potatoes and whipping cream to desired consistency.
- Skim milk or chicken stock may be used to reduce calories.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a garnish of a dollop of sour cream, grated cheese and chives.