Recipe by Chef Kate
From the Chicago Tribune test kitchen, a real farmers' market sort of recipe. This is also good with chorizo or andouille slices added.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 green bell pepper, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb small okra, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 3 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth (I use homemade, unsalted)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled, deveined
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil and butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat; add the bell pepper and onion.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in the okra; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is very soft and translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, parsley, thyme, pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat to a boil; decrease heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp; cook, stirring occasionally, just until shrimp turn pink, 3 minutes.