1/1 Photo of Lasagne
1 hr 30 mins
Friends beg to be invited to dinner when they hear I'm cooking lasagne. Over the years I have changed my recipe to make it as healthy as possible. My mom gave the recipe to me years ago and since then has asked me to make lasagne because my turns out better than hers! The "secret" ingredients of sugar and baking soda cut the acid flavor out of the tomatoes. You may want to add them gradually & taste test as some tomatoes are more acidic (is that a word?) than others. To save time, garlic and onion powder may be substituted for the minced garic & chopped onion. If time allows, refrigerate lasagne for a day before cooking. This allows the sauce to seep through the noodles. If lasagne is refrigerated, bake an additional 10-20 minutes. I have heard you don't have to boil the noodles if lasagne is prepared a day or more ahead of time. I've never been daring enough to do this. Please let me know if you try it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 lb lean ground chicken (can substitute ground turkey or ground beef)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pints stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Additional layer ingredients
- 1Brown ground meat in large dutch oven or 6 quart pan. Add chopped onion and minced garlic. Once meat is brown and the onion & garlic are translucent stir in stewed tomatoes and tomato paste.
- 2Cook lasagne noodles according to package instructions. (I always add an exra noodle or two.).
- 3While noodles are boiling, add spices to meat mixture. Continue cooking until meat sauce is thick, stir often.
- 4Add sugar to meat sauce, Stirr well.
- 5Remove meat sauce from heat and carefully stir in baking soda.
- 6Prepare a 9 x 13 pan by lightly spraying pan with cooking spray and spread a thin layer of meat sauce on bottom of pan.
- 7Lay three noodles side by side on top of meat sauce.
- 8Spread 1/3 of cottage cheese on top of noodles.
- 9Sprinkle one cup motzerella cheese over cottage cheese.
- 10Spread 1/3 of meat sauce over motzerella cheese.
- 11Lightly sprinkle parm cheese over meat sauce.
- 12Repeat last 5 steps 2 more times.
- 13Bake in pre-heated 350 degree over for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let set 5-10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lasagne
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.9
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 94.1 mg
- Sodium 1739.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 43.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat lasagna noodles