Friends beg to be invited to dinner when they hear I'm cooking lasagne. Over the years I have changed my recipe to make it as healthy as possible. My mom gave the recipe to me years ago and since then has asked me to make lasagne because my turns out better than hers! The "secret" ingredients of sugar and baking soda cut the acid flavor out of the tomatoes. You may want to add them gradually & taste test as some tomatoes are more acidic (is that a word?) than others. To save time, garlic and onion powder may be substituted for the minced garic & chopped onion. If time allows, refrigerate lasagne for a day before cooking. This allows the sauce to seep through the noodles. If lasagne is refrigerated, bake an additional 10-20 minutes. I have heard you don't have to boil the noodles if lasagne is prepared a day or more ahead of time. I've never been daring enough to do this. Please let me know if you try it.
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 lb lean ground chicken (can substitute ground turkey or ground beef)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pints stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (up to a Tablespoon for acid tasting tomatoes)
Additional layer ingredients
- 1 (16 ounce) container low fat cottage cheese
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese
- Brown ground meat in large dutch oven or 6 quart pan. Add chopped onion and minced garlic. Once meat is brown and the onion & garlic are translucent stir in stewed tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Cook lasagne noodles according to package instructions. (I always add an exra noodle or two.).
- While noodles are boiling, add spices to meat mixture. Continue cooking until meat sauce is thick, stir often.
- Add sugar to meat sauce, Stirr well.
- Remove meat sauce from heat and carefully stir in baking soda.
- Prepare a 9 x 13 pan by lightly spraying pan with cooking spray and spread a thin layer of meat sauce on bottom of pan.
- Lay three noodles side by side on top of meat sauce.
- Spread 1/3 of cottage cheese on top of noodles.
- Sprinkle one cup motzerella cheese over cottage cheese.
- Spread 1/3 of meat sauce over motzerella cheese.
- Lightly sprinkle parm cheese over meat sauce.
- Repeat last 5 steps 2 more times.
- Bake in pre-heated 350 degree over for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let set 5-10 minutes before serving.