Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Nice easy recipe for making lamingtons, soft sponge cake coated in chocolate icing and rolled in coconut.
- 400 g butter, softened
- 300 g caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 300 g self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 250 ml milk
- 400 g icing sugar
- 45 g cocoa powder
- 80 ml milk
- 80 ml boiling water
- 200 g coconut, dessicated
- Preheat oven to 150°C Grease and flour 2 20x15cm sponge tins.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a food processor or using a hand mixer, then add eggs one at a time while mixing.
- Add vanilla essence, then sieve in together the flour and baking powder slowly adding milk.
- Pour mix into tins and bake for about 1 hour until a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn into a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing sieve the icing sugar and cocoa together into a large bowl. Add milk and boiling water then stir until smooth.
- Soread coconut onto a large platter.
- Cut cakes into sqaures and using 2 forks dip into the chocolate icing, ensuring a even coating.
- Then drop into the coconut and coat.
- Repeat for each sponge square. Leave for about an hour before serving.