Stale Cake Lamingtons
photo by breezermom
- Ready In:
- 1 cake (day-old or frozen sponge, butter or pound)
- 3 cups sugar
- 8 ounces water
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups dried coconut
- Cut the cake into equal size 2 to 2½" inch cubes
- Spread out the dried coconut on a large plate and set aside.
- Mix the sugar with the cocoa in a pan. Slowly add the water until the mixture is thoroughly mixed.
- Boil gently for about 12 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Stir for 1 minute and then let cool slightly.
- Using a fork, quickly dip the cake cubes all the way into the chocolate mixture.
- Roll the chocolate covered cubes in the dried coconut until covered as much as desired.
- Place on a wire rack or a wax paper covered plate or flat pan so that the cake cubes do not touch each other. When completely cooled, the coating will be set and the Lamingtons will be ready to eat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in Seattle, but have also lived in the DC area, the Mid-west, California, the South, and New England, as well as China and India plus travel a fair bit, so I have experienced a good number of cuisines and like them all. I eat mostly vegetarian and mostly do a lot of scratch cooking. I am known for my creative use of leftovers and whatever is in the fridge. Too bad those recipes can't go easily into Zaar.</p>