Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
lovely with a salad and a glass of wine.
- 3 lbs boneless lamb shoulder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, for pan browning
- 6 cups canned / fresh chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled/chopped yellow onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 lemon, juice of
- In a stove-top Dutch oven brown the boneless lamb shoulder in the olive oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add enough stock to come halfway up the side of the meat and simmer, covered, until very tender, about two hours.
- Remove the meat from the pot and set aside, covered, to keep warm.
- Remove the fat from the stock in the pan and add more stock if necessary to make up four cups.
- Remove the stock from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the Dutch oven again and add half cup olive oil.
- Add the orzo pasta and toss for a minute.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic sautee until the onion is clear.
- Stir in the tomatoes, dillweed and parsley.
- Return the meat to the pot along with the 4 cups of stock.
- Cover and simmer until the broth is absorbed and the pasta is tender, about 30 minutes.
- NOTE: if the dish is too wet when the pasta is tender continue to cook for a few more minutes with the lid off to reduce the sauce.