Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
This is a lovely, spicy stew from Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking. She recommends using a pressure cooker, but I simmered it on the stovetop. Directions are included for both methods. I used all powdered forms of the spices rather than sticks, pods, etc. Peas are also good added to this.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 bay leaves (or 12 fresh curry leaves)
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 6 cardamom pods
- 8 whole cloves
- 15 black peppercorns
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cut in chunks
- 2 med-sized carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 fresh hot green chili pepper
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk, well stirred
Directions See How It's Made
- Pressure cooker:.
- Put oil in a pressure cooker and set over medium heat. When the oil is hot, put in the curry leaves (if using), cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and peppercorns. stir once and put in the onion.
- Saute for 1 1/2 minutes or till onion is soft and put in the meat, potatoes, carrots, turmeric, coriander, cayenne, green chiles, salt and 1 cup of the well stirred coconut milk.
- Cover securely with lid and on high heat, bring up to full pressure.
- Turn heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Lower pressure with the help of cool water poured on the lid and remove the lid. Cook, uncovered, over high heat for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring gently as you do so.
- Add the remaining coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Saute cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, cloves, peppercorns (or powdered versions of the spices) and onions in the oil till onion is soft.
- Add meat, potatoes, carrots, chiles, remaining seasonings, the stirred coconut milk and 3/4 cup water.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour.
- When meat and vegetables are tender and sauce somewhat thickened, uncover and increase heat slightly to reduce liquid if necessary.