Recipe by Bev
Cinnamon and mint gives this dish its unique flavor. Place the mint leave between the chunks of lamb for a look as great as it tastes!
- 2 bunches of fresh mint, divided
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless leg of lamb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- To Prepare Marinade: Coarsely chop 1 bunch of mint to make 1/2 cup (Reserve remaining mint leaves for kebabs.).
- Combine the chopped mint, oil, wine, lemon juice and cinnamon sticks in a non reactive medium bowl.
- Trim any fat from lamb and cut into about 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add lamb to the marinade, cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours, stirring several times.
- Drain lamb well; discard marinade.
- To Prepare Kebabs: Thread the lamb onto skewers, placing a whole mint leaf between each piece of meat.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Oil the grill grate* (See Note at bottom).
- Grill the kebabs, turning with tongs occasionally, until the lamb is nicely browned on the outside and cooked to desired doneness, about 8 minutes total for medium-rare or 12 minutes total for medium.
- Transfer the kebabs to a platter or plates to serve.
- *To oil grate: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the grate.
- (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill!).