Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
My friend Kurt gave me this recipe many, many years ago.
- 5 medium potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- Peel potatoes; keep in cold water till ready to use.
- Shred onion on large holes of grater.
- Shred potatoes on small holes.
- Drain potatoes/onions in colander, pressing out excess liquid.
- Place in large mixing bowl, stir together with egg, flour, salt and pepper In 10” skillet heat about 1” of cooking oil.
- Drop in about 1T of mixture at a time for each latke.
- Cook over med heat till golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels (makes about 30 latkes).
Good and simple. I also added some sweet potato to give it some color and a little sweetness.