Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Here's another recipe borrowed from the hub-uk website, where it was originally posted by 'Tallyrand' (who is a chef in NZ). Kumara is the Moari name for Sweet Potato. You could serve this with the Maori Bread recipe I’ve posted. I've not tried this and number of servings is a ‘guestimate’; recipe posted for Zaar World Tour 2005.
- Melt the butter in a thick bottomed saucepan, add the onion and celery and cook gently for about 5 minutes until transparent.
- Stir in the flour, mixing it in carefully to ensure that no lumps of flour are left; continue cooking gently for another 5 minutes, taking care that the vegetables don’t brown.
- Remove from heat and add the kumara, then slowly add the stock' stirring to mix all ingredients.
- Return pan to the heat and bring soup to the boil, add the bouquet garni then simmer for 45–50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take the pan off the heat, remove the bouquet garni and any foam that has formed.
- Allow to cool slightly then liquidize soup in a blender.
- Add seasoning to taste then re-heat if necessary before serving.