Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
Posted for the World Zaar Tour 2005.
Make and share this Koulóuria (Greek Sesame Bread Rings) recipe from Food.com.
- 946.36 ml all-purpose flour (or more)
- 283.49 g water, lukewarm
- 4.92 ml salt
- 44.37 ml oil
- 7.08 g envelope dry yeast
- 177.44-236.59 ml sesame seeds
- Mix all ingrdients EXCEPT sesame seeds to form a dough and knead by hand for approximately 10 minutes.
- You might need to add a little more flour, the dough should be soft but not sticky.
- Cover and let dough rise for about 30-50 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
- Meanwhile preheat oven (440°F, 225°C) and grease baking tray or cover it with baking paper. Put a wide ovenproof dish filled with hot water on the bottom of the oven to have steam, which will make for a better result.
- Knead dough a second time and divide into 8 portions.
- Form each part into 13-14 inch long roll (about 3/4-1 inch thick). Shape into rings and press ends together.
- Put some warm water into a large bowl. Put sesame seeds on a plate.
- Carefully dip rings into warm water and then into sesame seeds to cover them on both sides.
- Put rings on baking tray and let rise for another 10 minutes.
- Bake for about 25-35 minutes.
- Koulóuria are done, when they are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
The Koulóuria are easy to make and the seasme add a wonderful flavor to these bread rings or curls. The have a frim but still fluffy texture. Do not overbake them.
Delicious rolls. I was unsure what it meant to form "curls" so I plaited the strips and then made them into rings. They worked out fine, looked very pretty (despite the fact that all I had were black sesame seeds_ and tasted great.
SO WONDERFUL! I made this for my Greek father, I am sure he will love it. I had to add just a titch more water, I used canola oil, and it did take a lot of sesame seeds! I used my mixer with the dough hook to avoid all the work. It took about 40 min. to rise. I used parchment paper and it was great. The only thing was they were almost over-baked at 25 minutes in my oven, so be careful on the time! They were perfectly crunchy on the outside and perfectly soft on the inside! It's like a sesame bagel. A++++