1/1 Photo of Korean Inspired Pulled Pork Shoulder (For Tacos or Sliders)
8 hrs 10 mins
the mix'n vix'n's Note:
Recipe is for a crock pot! Delish and easy! This is based off of a traditional Char Siu sauce, but true to my nature I can never leave well enough alone! I modified this recipe a lot. I just couldn't help myself. Also, the meat is usually prepared over fire or roasted, but I really wanted to find a recipe that worked well in a slow cooker and I think I accomplished that by making my mods. Hope you like it too! ENJOY!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs pork shoulder or 3 lbs pork tenderloin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 large yellow onion, cut in large chunks
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup hoisin sauce (I use Koon Chun Sauce Factory brand)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon rice wine (shaoxing)
- 2 inches lemongrass, fresh, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, fresh, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1In a small sauce pan add the following items: hoisin sauce, honey, soy sauce, ½ cup of water, sesame oil, mirin, shaoxing rice wine, lemongrass fresh, ginger, garlic, and the Chinese five spice powder.
- 2Whisk together. Reserve 1/4 cup for basting and set the pan with the rest of the sauce on the stove over low hit to thicken. About 30 min, whisking occasionally to prevent burning. Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
- 3Place onion chunks in bottom of crock pot and set as low. Salt and pepper the pork on both sides and place on top of the onions.
- 4Baste top and sides of pork with the reserved sauce. Add the lid and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-5 hours on high. You will know it's done when it is falling apart. YUM!
- 5Add the cooled Korean inspired BBQ sauce reduction to a magic bullet or blender and blend until smooth. Set aside. Will keep in fridge for 2 weeks.
- 6I use this for Asian pork tacos or pulled pork sliders. Serve either one topped with shredded green and purple cabbage, thinly slices quick-pickled radishes and cucumbers, green onion, cilantro and basil. Dress with a drizzle of spicy sriracha aioli and a drizzle of the Korean inspired BBQ sauce reduction.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Korean Inspired Pulled Pork Shoulder (For Tacos or Sliders)
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.8
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 80.9 mg
- Sodium 731.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 16.2 g
- Protein 20.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder