3 hrs 30 mins
Food & Wine Magazine, December 2008 edition - Perfecting Chicken Soup, recipe by Grace Parisi. It is a deeply flavorful broth and we enjoyed it ever so much :) and have even put it on the menu at our Cafe Ponce. We serve this with a salad, homemade bread or some sort of biscuits (I know) but the residents' like biscuits and we use different recipes to see which they prefer. We also had to make a few changes with the soup but that is when we are making it for the whole home, as we have chicken soup twice a day! When we make it for the Cafe - it is the real thing. It also works on colds like Jewish Penicillin ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs chicken, neck reserved
- 3 1/2 quarts water
- 1 medium unpeeled onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, scrubbed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large unpeeled garlic clove, smashed
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 3 1/2 quarts water
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 6 parsley sprigs
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- kosher salt
- 8 ounces thick udon noodles
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely julienne peeled ginger
- 12 ounces block firm silken tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup kimchee cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons asian fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1In a stockpot, combine the chicken and neck with the water, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaf, parsley springs and thyme sprigs and bring to a boil.
- 2Cover partially and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- 3Transfer the chicken to a plate; discard the skin.
- 4Pull the meat off the bones, cut it into 1/2-inch pieces and refrigerate.
- 5Return the bones to the pot, partially cover and simmer for 1 hour, until the broth is richly flavored.
- 6Strain the broth into a clean heat proof bowl and rinse out the pot.
- 7Return the broth to the pot and boil over moderate heat until reduced to 8 cups, about 30 minutes; season with salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- 8In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the udon until al dente. Drain and cool under running water. Drain again.
- 9In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil.
- 10Add the mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring, until golden, about 7 minutes.
- 11Scrape the mushrooms into the stockpot and add the udon, ginger, tofu, kimchee, fish sauce and sesame oil.
- 12Season with salt and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 13Add the chicken and simmer until just heated through.
- 14Ladle into bowls, serve & enjoy!
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Korean Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (1550 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 753.2
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 170.1 mg
- Sodium 1415.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 52.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh bay leaves
fresh thyme sprigs