Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
"This is a family favorite made easy. Preparing the dough in a bread machine saves time kneading the dough by hand."
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄3 cup powdered milk
- 1⁄4 cup instant potato flakes
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 7⁄8 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 (12 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 (12 ounce) can poppy seed filling
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Place water, softened butter, egg, egg yolk, milk powder, potato flakes, sugar, salt, flour and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Select Dough cycle; press Start. Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of water if necessary.
- When the cycle is complete, spoon out dough with tablespoon and roll into walnut sized balls. Place 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Flatten balls slightly with the palm of your and make a depression in center with your thumb. Fill with 1 tablespoon of filling. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake in preheated oven for 13 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter. Cool on wire rack.
Good. Mine didn't rise as well as I expected. I also would have liked the dough to be a bit sweeter, I'll increase the sugar next time. I plan on using apricot filling, as well. Thanks for the recipe!