Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe I have used ever since my kid‘s were little. I have tweaked it over the years. It is usually my son, Pat’s first request for the holidays. I have to make a bowl just for him or no one else gets any…lol
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 dash salt
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (11 ounce) box vanilla wafers
- 5 ripe bananas
- Mix sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler.
- Blend in 2 eggs, 1 egg yolk and milk.
- Add butter.
- Cook uncovered, over boiling water 10-12 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Reserve 10 wafers for garnish.
- Line bottom of a 1 ½ quart baking dish with vanilla wafers.
- Cover the wafers with sliced bananas.
- Pour 1/3 of the custard over the bananas.
- Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make a
- total of 3 layers each ending with the custard.
- Crumble about 10 wafers and sprinkle over the top.
- Cool slightly or refrigerate a few hour until chilled.
- Relax and enjoy. . .