Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Comfort food at it's best, this is a family favorite that goes back years! --- Jimmy Dean has a wonderful bulk sausage roll that will work great for this recipe, you may adjust the pepper flakes to suit heat level, my family likes extreme heat so I use 2 heaping teaspoons or you may use spicy sausage meat --- serve this over biscuits, I also like to serve it over mashed potatoes or fries :)
- 226.79-340.19 g bulk pork sausage (can use sausages with casings removed, or turkey sausages)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
- 0.25 ml crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste, adjust to suit heat level)
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour, plus
- 9.85 ml all-purpose flour (for a thicker gravy increase slightly)
- 473.18 ml half-and-half cream or 473.18 ml milk
- 4.92-9.85 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2.46 ml seasoning salt (or to taste) or 2.46 ml white salt (or to taste)
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 8 prepared biscuits (optional)
- Cook the sausage meat with onion (if using) in a large skillet over medium heat until sausage meat no longer pink; drain fat.
- Add in crushed red pepper flakes and cook stirring until the meat is lightly browned (about 12-15 minutes, the meat must be browned).
- Stir in 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoon flour into the skillet and mix until dissolved with the meat (about 2 minutes).
- Add in the cream and Worcestershire sauce; cook over medium-low heat until thickened and bubbly (about 5 minutes).
- Add in salt and ground black pepper.
- Serve over biscuits.
This is very good. I made this after DD requested it for dinner the other night. I was on the lookout for a creamier gravy then mine and this is it. Thank you for sharing, we loved it.
On a recent trip to the US I had biscuits and gravy one morning at breakfast -- sold! There was a part of me that was feeling a guilty but that part was completely run over by the part that was just loving it! Was having a bit of a longing for that once more and the recipe not only matched but surpassed memory. Thank for posting Kittencal -- as usual your recipe is spot on!
Good an yummy. We took the onions down a bit and didn't add the crushed red pepper because my wife has a sensitive stomach. Was still very good though.