Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The rice must be cold so use leftover cold rice or make a day ahead and refrigerate, I use converted rice for this but white long grain will do fine as long as the rice is semi-firm and not overcooked see my Kittencal's Perfect Cooked White Rice (Soft, Medium or Firm) --- If you prefer a thicker rice casserole then omit the milk or reduce to 1/4 cup. The complete recipe may be doubled, this is *really* good! :)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 5 ounces milk (use 1/2 soup can)
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, well drained (or use fresh sliced sauteed)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 cups cold cooked rice (use long-grain white or brown)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Set oven to 350 degrees (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Butter a 2-quart casserole dish (or one large enough to hold the mixture).
- In a skillet heat butter over medium heat until melted; add in onion, celery and green bell pepper; cook stirring over medium heat until softened (about 5 minutes) or until well softened adding in garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking, place the mixture into the bowl.
- Add in soup, milk, drained canned mushrooms mayonnaise, sour cream, black pepper, garlic powder and cooked cold rice; mix with a wooden spoon until well combined adjusted black pepper and adding in a small amount of salt to taste (I use seasoned salt).
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese evenly over the rice mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes.