Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
The rice must be cold so use leftover cold rice or make a day ahead and refrigerate, I use converted rice for this but white long grain will do fine as long as the rice is semi-firm and not overcooked see my Kittencal's Perfect Cooked White Rice (Soft, Medium or Firm) --- If you prefer a thicker rice casserole then omit the milk or reduce to 1/4 cup. The complete recipe may be doubled, this is *really* good! :)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 5 ounces milk (use 1/2 soup can)
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, well drained (or use fresh sliced sauteed)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 cups cold cooked rice (use long-grain white or brown)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Set oven to 350 degrees (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Butter a 2-quart casserole dish (or one large enough to hold the mixture).
- In a skillet heat butter over medium heat until melted; add in onion, celery and green bell pepper; cook stirring over medium heat until softened (about 5 minutes) or until well softened adding in garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking, place the mixture into the bowl.
- Add in soup, milk, drained canned mushrooms mayonnaise, sour cream, black pepper, garlic powder and cooked cold rice; mix with a wooden spoon until well combined adjusted black pepper and adding in a small amount of salt to taste (I use seasoned salt).
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese evenly over the rice mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes.
This was easy to make. Very creamy and very, very tasty. Made as a side dish to pork chops. My one year old and I ate this the next day for lunch as well. Will make this again soon.
Kitten, This tasted like a really good mushroom risotto to me. It was simple to make, yet really tasty. I served this at Christmas dinner and am really glad that I did. I did not have the celery, but otherwise followed the recipe. Delicious!
WOW, this is GOOD! I used fresh mushies because I had some in the fridge. The combo of the veggies and sour cream and the rice with the creaminess can't be beat. Everyone at my table had seconds of this (even DH!). I did lower the fat (sorry Kit) by softening the onion in water in place of the butter, using reduced fat mushie soup, skim milk, low fat mayo, fat free sour cream. If it was this good with my fat cuts this has to really be To Die For at full fat richness! Don't skip the parm cheese, it's really the crowning glory in this lovely creation. I served it with broiled chicken breast and steamed broccoli/cauliflower mixed. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.