1 hr 10 mins
The rice must be cold so use leftover cold rice or make a day ahead and refrigerate, I use converted rice for this but white long grain will do fine as long as the rice is semi-firm and not overcooked see my Kittencal's Perfect Cooked White Rice (Soft, Medium or Firm) --- If you prefer a thicker rice casserole then omit the milk or reduce to 1/4 cup. The complete recipe may be doubled, this is *really* good! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 5 ounces milk (use 1/2 soup can)
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, well drained (or use fresh sliced sauteed)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 2 1/2 cups cold cooked rice (use long-grain white or brown)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- 2Butter a 2-quart casserole dish (or one large enough to hold the mixture).
- 3In a skillet heat butter over medium heat until melted; add in onion, celery and green bell pepper; cook stirring over medium heat until softened (about 5 minutes) or until well softened adding in garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking, place the mixture into the bowl.
- 4Add in soup, milk, drained canned mushrooms mayonnaise, sour cream, black pepper, garlic powder and cooked cold rice; mix with a wooden spoon until well combined adjusted black pepper and adding in a small amount of salt to taste (I use seasoned salt).
- 5Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- 6Sprinkle parmesan cheese evenly over the rice mixture.
- 7Bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Creamy Mushroom Risotto Bake
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.6
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 42.3 mg
- Sodium 620.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: