Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 54 mins
In ' 1,000 Vegetarian Recipes' by Carol Gelles
- 1⁄2 cup dried baby lima beans
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 6 cups water (or vegetable broth)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsnip
- 1⁄4 cup split peas or 1⁄4 cup yellow split peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 3⁄4 cup cut green beans
- 1⁄2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- Soak the lima beans in water overnight; drain.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, heat the oil over med-high heat.
- Add in cabbage, onions, and celery; cook/stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the water or broth and bring to a boil; stir in the lima beans, carrots, parsnips, split peas, bay leaf, and garlic; return to a boil.
- Decrease heat and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour.
- Add the tomatoes and barley; return to a simmer; simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients; return to a simmer; simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes longer.
- Discard bay leaf.