Recipe by YiayiaMouse
FIVE HOUR COOK TIME! This corned beef almost prepares itself, and the flavor is dinner-party worthy, but comfort food good. BTW - The veges didn't work for my family's taste, but our guests loved them! (Dan Smith/Steve McDonagh)
Top Review by jhairball
I made this for my family tonight...11 people so I used 3 corned beefs in a huge roaster and doubled the beer and whisky amounts. I added the potatoes and carotts (alot) 3 hours into cooking time and the last hour added 2 heads of cabbage wedged...it was AMAZING!!!!! I have always used the pressure cooker, but this made it possible to make alot at one time and the flavor and tenderness was beyond perfect! This recipe is forever a St. Pattys Day keeper..thankyou so much!!! Janet Corsaro
- 1360.77 g corned beef brisket
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 29.58 ml pickling spices
- 9.85 ml caraway seeds
- 680.38 g Harp lager beer (anything not light)
- 118.29 ml Irish whiskey (Jameson or Bushmill)
- 6 carrots, peeled, cut into 2-inch
- 6 red potatoes, in 2-inch cubes
- 4 sprig fresh dill
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Place corned beef in large roasting pan (w/lid).
- Add garlic, shallots, spices, beer and whiskey.
- Cover and place in the oven.
- Braise 3 hours, turning the meat once.
- After 3 hours, add carrots, potatoes and dill.
- Cover again and braise additional 2 hours.
- Allow to stand 5-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.