Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is based roughly on Amadea Morningstar's "Basic Warming Kichadi" from her book on Ayurvedic cooking. I have changed around the herb and spice combination to suit my tastes. You can add any vegetables you like or have in the fridge :c)
- 1⁄4 cup split mung beans
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 cup chopped peeled parsnip
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon roasted ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon roasted ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 dried red chili pepper, torn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lemons or 1⁄2 lime, squeezed
- 3 -5 leaves fresh basil
- Wash rice and mung beans, chop vegetables and ginger.
- combine first set of ingredients in stockpot and bring to boil, then reducing to simmer.
- Prepare second set of ingredients; heat ghee in pan.
- Add mustard seeds, wait for them to pop, then add onion and spices and fry till slightly browned.
- Add ingredients from pan to stockpot; let simmer for one hour.
- Add final set of ingredients and serve.
- Enjoy this healing kichadi!