Recipe by daisygrl64
This looks really good. Plan ahead, beans have to be soaked in water overnight. I hope you enjoy this recipe, from my Pol Martin cookbook.
- 3⁄4 lb dried kidney beans
- 4 smoked ham hocks
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and pureed
- 2 celery ribs, diced large
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 lb Italian sausage, cut on the bias in 1 ' pieces
- 1 green pepper, cubed
- Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- place beans in large bowl and cover completely with water, let stand overnight.
- place smoked ham hocks in large saucepan and cover with water, bring to a boil, add seasonings and garlic. partly cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours over low heat. the ham hocks should be well cooked, remove from saucepan and set aside, leave water in pan.
- drain beans and add to hot water in saucepan, add celery and onion. add more water if liquid does not cover beans completely. mix and partly cover, cook for 1 hour over med heat, stirring occasionally.
- add sausages, tabasco sauce, and green pepper to saucepan, mix, partly cover and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- return ham hocks to saucepan with beans. at this point most of the water should be evaporated.
- partly cover and cook 15 minutes.
- before serving remove bay leaves.
- serve over rice.