Prep 3 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Manju Malhi 'Brit Spice', makes a delicious side dish with curry or grilled meat and is wonderful in pita bread with a salad and a coriander chutney
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 green chili
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon butter
- heat oil in saucepan and add chopped onion and garlic.
- fry for 5-6 mins then add chilli.
- stir in the turmeric, cumin and coriander followed by salt and garam masala and cook for a minute.
- add grated ginger and fry for a minute then stir in the tomato puree.
- add the drained and washed beans and mix well continuing to fry for another minute.
- pour in 200 ml water, cover and simmer over very low heat for 3 mins until thickens or oil floats to the surface - pour this off if you wish.
- Stir in the butter if you are using it.
YUMMY EASY FLAVORFUL and HEALTHY too! I made this with a 4oz can of diced green chilies and ketchup for the small amount of tomato puree. We enjoyed it over rice with fresh chopped tomatoes over the top. Made for the Newest Zaar Tag.