Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe comes from Key Lime Cookin' by Joyce LaFray. Key limes are smaller and sweeter than regular limes. If you can't find key limes or key lime juice you may sub regular limes.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package lemon cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup key lime juice or 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 2 key limes, zest of or 1⁄2 regular lime, zest of
- 1 (3 ounce) package lime gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 lb butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 1 key limes, zest of or 1 regular lime, zest of
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray or grease and flour lightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, water, lime juice, lime zest, jello, vegetable oil and eggs.
- With an electric mixer, blend ingredients together until well combined, about 3 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted off center comes out clean.
- For the frosting, combine the butter, cream cheese and vanilla with electric mixer.
- Add confectioners sugar and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add milk to reach the desired spreading consistency.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake and garnish with lime zest.
Thanks for sharing this recipe. I have made this twice and the only thing I changed was I made it into a layer cake with Key Lime Curd as a filling in between the layers. I used 9 inch round cake pans and baked for 28 min. Thanks again! It was a huge hit!
This recipe is awesome. As a baker, I alter the recipe a little bit to get a more fluffy and moist cake. I sifted the cake mix and the jello, to give a more airy consistency. The first thing I did was placing the eggs in the mixing bowl of my electric mixer and beat them at high speed for about 2 minutes. Then I add the rest of the ingredients and mixed for 3 minutes at low speed. I took it to the oven at 325 for 45 minutes. I got a very spongee and moist cake, that everybody enjoyed a lot.
Am going to call this the Kiss Me cake, because it makes you pucker up like you were going to kiss someone. I too make rounds, then split each one, l lined each layer with lime curd and frosted the outside of the cake, it was a big hit. Next time put the lime curd inside the split layers, then frost the middle and the outside.