Lemon or Lime Marmalade
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
11 half pints
- With a sharp paring knife remove the outer peel of the lemons, you do NOT want any pith.
- Slice the peel into paper thin slivers and set aside.
- Remove pith from fruits and slice the lemons as thin as you can, removing any seeds.
- Dont use the end slices.
- Measure the peel and lemon slices, you will need 4 cups.
- Place in a large non-reactive bowl-I use glass, and cover with the 12 cups water.
- Cover and let stand overnight.
- The next morning place the lemon/water mixture into a large pot over medium heat and cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until the lemon rind is tender.
- Remove from heat and measure-you should have 12 cups.
- Return to pot and measure in 12 cups of sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves.
- Turn heat up to medium high, bringing product to a gentle boil-still stirring constantly.
- Boil to gel point.
- Remove from heat and skim off foam.
- Ladle into clean hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
- If you live at a higher elevation please consult altitude chart.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!