Recipe by LainieBug
An incredible hot turkey sandwich that is a Kentucky Tradition.
Top Review by angelfan
Yummy!! Tried this for the first time,( which will not be the last.) Only change I made was to use garlic texas toast. I agree that it is easy to prepare, and makes a tasty lunch treat. The flavors blend so well, the dash of tabasco gives it that hint of "hot" but not over powering. Thanks for posting this.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated (or your favorite cheese)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 -2 dash Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 4 slices dense bread, toasted
- 8 turkey slices (or enough to cover 4 bread slices)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 slices fresh tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add flour, stirring, to make a smooth paste. Cook for several minutes.
- Whisk in milk gradually, stirring constantly.
- Add a small amount of the hot milk mixture to the beaten yolk and whisk until smooth.
- Return the yolk-milk mixture to the saucepan and simmer until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add cheeses and Tabasco and cook until cheese is melted and sauce is thick and smooth.
- Place the toasted bread slices in individual ovenproof dishes.
- Warm the turkey slices (the microwave works well) and place turkey on the toasted bread.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the turkey. Place the bacon slices on top of the sauce and top each with a tomato slice.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese sauce begins to bubble. Serve immediately.