Recipe by Sharon123
This brings the humble grits to a new level! Easy and delicious! Recipe adapted from Kathy Cary/Drew Nieporent via Food Network.
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup raw grits
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup butter (4 ounces)
- 4 eggs, separated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 2 quart souffle dish well and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the cheese around the sides and bottom of the dish.
- Cook the grits in the milk with the salt until done. Add the pepper, cayenne, butter, cheese, and egg yolks to the grits. Stir well and let cool.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff and carefully fold into the grits mixture.
- Pour into the prepared souffle dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve right away!