Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a different twist on the usual butter tarts but equally as delicious.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (measure after melting)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the first three ingredients until crumbly.
- Press into an ungreased pan.
- Bake 5-7 minutes.
- Soak raisins in cold water for half an hour and thoroughly drain.
- Beat eggs and gradually add sugar, flour, vanilla. At this point you can add the melted butter and salt.
- Add raisins, nuts.
- Pour over the partially baked base.
- Return to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Cool and cut into squares.
Butter tarts are DH's favourite, these squares are just as good as the tarts and not near the trouble to make. They will become a regular for his "cookie jar". Thanks friend Ranikabani for sharing a sweet one!!
As a coeliac, I substituted the flour for the gluten free stuff and I still thought the end result was great. It was easy to make and very 'more-ish'. (Just presumed that the melted butter & salt were added after the beating of the eggs...?)
This recipe didnt turn out at all. It looks or tastes nothing like butter tart squares. I think some of the recipe is missing. Its was quite gross.