Recipe by kae
I wrote up this recipe for my daughter Kendra. She loves my swedish meatballs. I usually read several recipes and pick out the parts I like. She called and wanted my recipe. I was in a hurry and gave her one straight from one of my cookbooks. It was a flop. So I decided to write down exactly what I do for her. It works.
Top Review by mizhort
The meatballs made according to the recipe were terrific. The sauce however was very bland. I do have to say that I could not find Tamari in my small town so I substituted soy sauce. However, I don't think this was the reason the sauce was so bland. I wound up adding a can of cream of mushroom soup, a total of about 1/4 cup of beef broth, about 2 TB soy sauce, approx 3/4 tsp garlic powder and black pepper. Oh I also used 2 full cups half and half and 3 Tb flour. After making those additions, my family raved over the sauce and my very picky daughter even had seconds and requested leftovers for her lunch the next day.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon condensed beef broth
- 1 teaspoon tamari
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak bread crumbs in the milk.
- In a large bowl combine ground beef, nutmeg, salt, and eggs.
- Saute onion in butter until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir onions and bread/milk mixture into ground beef.
- Allow to sit 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place rack on large baking pan.
- Form 25-30 meatballs placing on rack.
- Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove pan from oven and turn meatballs over.
- Bake another 20 minutes.
- Remove cooked meatballs from pan.
- Pour off grease.
- Pour beef broth in pan over rack.
- Let soak for 20 minutes to loosen baked on goodies.
- Scrape pan and rack.
- Set aside.
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons flour in 1/2 cup half and half until smooth.
- Pour in saucepan with remainder of half and half and beef broth with pan scrapings.
- Mix well and bring to simmer over medium heat stirring frequently.
- Add concentrated beef broth and tamari; taste and adjust seasonings -- you may want more tamari or beef broth concentrate.
- When thick add meatballs.
- Serve over egg noodles.