Recipe by Wildflour
I make TONS of different kinds of pancakes (about 70), and these are hearty farm-style ones that are really good!
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 lb bulk country sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chunky applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- In small saute pan, cook sausage, fennel seed, pepper, sage and thyme, until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up until sausage is done and well crumbled.
- Drain grease, set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, celery salt and minced onion until well mixed.
- In medium bowl, whisk egg til fluffy. Whisk in milk, oil and applesauce. Stir in sausage mixture.
- Pour over dry ingredients, and fold just til all is moistened, but batter is still lumpy.
- Bake on hot, non-stick griddle over medium-low heat until golden brown on both sides, turning once.
- Serve with softened butter and warm maple syrup.
- Makes 10 pancakes.