Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I make TONS of different kinds of pancakes (about 70), and these are hearty farm-style ones that are really good!
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 lb bulk country sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chunky applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- In small saute pan, cook sausage, fennel seed, pepper, sage and thyme, until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up until sausage is done and well crumbled.
- Drain grease, set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, celery salt and minced onion until well mixed.
- In medium bowl, whisk egg til fluffy. Whisk in milk, oil and applesauce. Stir in sausage mixture.
- Pour over dry ingredients, and fold just til all is moistened, but batter is still lumpy.
- Bake on hot, non-stick griddle over medium-low heat until golden brown on both sides, turning once.
- Serve with softened butter and warm maple syrup.
- Makes 10 pancakes.
These are wonderful pancakes! My family loved them and I will make again. Served them with maple syrup. Made for ZWT4 Family Picks for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.
Just made these pancakes for my lunch with the kids. These are really good. The thyme and sage add that little extra to it. Fresh chunks of apple would probably be good in them too. I served them with maple syrup and it was delicious. Made for ZWT4.