Apple Sausage Pancakes With Cider Syrup
photo by Darkhunter
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or just nutmeg)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1⁄2 cup apple, shredded
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lb bulk pork sausage, browned, drained and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons oil
- CIDER SYRUP: In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and pumpkin pie spice; stir in apple cider and lemon juice.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils for 1 minute.
- Stir in butter. Reduce heat just to keep syrup warm while making pancakes.
- Heat griddle.
- PANCAKES: In small bowl, beat egg on high speed until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in pancake mix, milk, oil and cinnamon.
- Fold in apples and sausage.
- Grease griddle lightly before making each batch.
- Pour batter from 1/4 cup measuring cup onto hot griddle. Bake until bubbles appear, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook another 2 minutes.
- Serve with hot Cider Syrup.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this for dinner tonight. I only had apple cinnamon pancake mix and was afraid that it would make it too strong. But the flavor wasn't overpowering at all. It seemed spot on. As for the topping, some of us liked the cider syrup and others preferred them with traditional maple. I did a little of both! I wish we could give half stars. My family was evenly divided between rating this 4 or 5 stars. So consider this a 4 1/2 star rating. A great dinner for a chilly night!
A lovely filling breakfast for supper meal. The addition of the sausage was a first for me in pancakes. DH said the taste was subtle and not at all overpowering. He was a bit skeptical as he watched me make these that the flavors wouldn't blend well together...he was happy with the outcome. The cinnamon is also a nice addition with the shredded apple.:-) Made for HolidayTag.
ABSOULTELY A GREAT BREAKFAST! We were so happy with pancakes made this way, & then with the addition of the cider syrup, well . . . OUTSTANDING, & a recipe that will be made again & again around here! I might even have to give up using my often-used corn syrup! Thanks for sharing a wonderful keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
WARNING: Make my recipes if you want, but I am no longer an active member and will not acknowledge reviews, photos or answer questions via z-mail. I find this site to be pretty useless without the forums. I can find recipes on a lot of different websites.