Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
(Deep-fried Spring Rolls, Nepali Style)
Make and share this Kathmandu Spring Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- spring roll wrappers
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1⁄2 lb ground lamb (chicken can also be used)
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped scallion
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground szechwan pepper (timur)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for filling; mix thoroughly.
- Spread out a wrap; moisten the edges with water.
- Spread two tablespoons of filling mixture diagonally across the middle of the wrap.
- Fold both edges over the mixture and roll over, making sure that the filling is tightly enclosed.
- Continue making rolls for all filling mixture.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and deep fry wrapped spring rolls until golden brown.
- Drain excess oil with paper towel.
- Arrange rolls in a plate and serve immediately with tomato achar.
These are interesting. I like that fact that they contain lots of vegetables. I chopped the vegetables in my food processor, which resulted in a sort of homogeneous texture, which I'm not sure I like as much as if I had used a knife. I did also cut back rather drastically on the spices, especially the curry powder, which I think was a good idea for me. Since the curry powder already contains turmeric, I think I will omit that completely next time. I also may add some ginger. I used a mixture of chicken and pork. I do think that if I had used lamb, I would have wanted somewhat stronger spicing. I have had my eye on this recipe quite a while, so am glad I finally got to it. Thank you for sharing the recipe with us.