Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a traditional Indian recipe offered up by the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone.
Make and share this Karnataka Style Prawn Pepper Masala recipe from Food.com.
- 16 prawns, medium peeled deveined
- 300 g onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 4 green chili peppers, chopped
- 40 curry leaves
- 150 ml tomato puree, fresh
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black pepper, crushed
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 20 curry leaves, fried (garnish)
- 4 lemon wedges (garnish)
- 4 cups cooked long grained basmati rice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or wok, add chopped green chile and onions. Stir-fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add curry leaves, ginger-garlic paste, and the dry spice powders. Stir-fry for a minute.
- Pour in the fresh tomato puree and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slip in the prawns with 50 milliliters of water and cook for 3 to 4 minutes over high heat. When the liquid has almost evaporated and the prawns are done, serve garnished with fried curry leaves and lemon wedge over 1 cup of cooked rice per person.