Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is named in honour of my boyfriend, who last night really wanted dinner but seemed disappointed with salad. We weren't really hungry, so I came up with this salad platter which we shared. Any green lettuce that you have on hand can be used, and rocket/argula tastes nice as well. You could also arrange this on small plates and serve as a first course. The veges & lentils can be prepared ahead of time & refrigerated. The salad can then be built just before serving.
For the dressing
- 2 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon good quality olive oil
For the salad
- 1 large yellow capsicum, cut into chunks
- 1 large zucchini
- 4 tablespoons puy lentils, cooked in light stock & cooled (brown lentils can be substituted)
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 egg, boiled & cut into 1/8ths
- 100 g goat cheese
- 100 g serrano ham, torn into rough pieces (or any airdried ham)
- 10 black olives
- 16 green lettuce leaves, torn
- Make the dressing first by combining the dressing ingredients together and stirring well.
- Chargrill the capsicum - I heated a pan on medium heat, and put chunks of the capsicum in the pan skin side down. Once it blisters, put it into a plastic bag for 15 minutes to sweat. The skins can then be removed easily.
- Slice the zucchini thinly, either in rounds or lengthways. Chargrill until just starting to brown. Set aside to cool.
- Place the halved cherry tomatoes under a grill until just starting to brown. Set aside to cool.
- Tear the lettuce leaves and arrange on a large platter.
- Sprinkle the lentils over the lettuce.
- Arrange the veges on the lentils & lettuce, then crumble the goats cheese over the top.
- Add the olives, ham & eggs.
- Dribble the dressing over & serve with crusty bread.