Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This gelatin dessert apparently came from my sister in law Karen's recipe collection. The title is typed exactly as it appears on the recipe card! It's a great, funky old recipe the sort of thing I grew up with in the deep south as a kid -- I'm not surprised, because Karen spent several years living and working in Louisiana and Tennessee at the same time. NB: Times listed are very approximate, because you have to wait for the gelatin to set up -- it could take longer!
- 1 (3 ounce) packagejello orange gelatin mix
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup Sprite
- 1 cup cantaloupe or 1 cup honeydew, cubed
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- Dissolve gelatin and sugar in boiling water.
- Add Sprite.
- Chill 1 1/4 cups of the mixture until thickened.
- Set aside remainder of mixture at room temperature.
- Add melon cubes to thickened gelatin.
- Chill in 1 quart mold until set, but not firm.
- Gradually blend reserved gelatin into cream cheese.
- Chill cream cheese mixture until very thick.
- Beat cream cheese mixture until fluffy.
- Spoon beaten cream cheese mixture over fruit layer in mold.
- Chill until firm.
- Gently dip mold into hot water for a few seconds, then carefully invert over plate and unmold.